- About PKAL
A PKAL Facilities Workshop:
From Audits to Assessment
July 25, 2009
Oxford College of Emory University
On Saturday, July 25, PKAL is sponsoring a one-day workshop on planning facilities for undergraduate science, engineering, mathematics and technology.
This workshop is designed as the first in a series of regional, one-day workshops on key issues that leaders addressing immediate challenges to ensure that undergraduate STEM learning of the students for whom they are responsible is of the highest quality. Two threads will be woven through the workshop, each revolving around the concept of planning:
- if your planning challenge is to result in a major project—new or renovated facilities; and
- if your planning challenge is to result in short-term improvements that serve long-term facilities goals.
The workshop will run from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and each institutional team or individual will leave with a plan of action that can be implemented by the end of 2009. We have joining us Atlanta architects and other consultants to serve as facilitators and presenters, so there will be many lessons to be learned and ideas sparked from discussions during our time together.
- Sandra Bowden, Professor of Biology Emerita — Agnes Scott College
- Kip Ellis, Principal — Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Architecture & Engineering
- Erika Morgan, Architect - Perkins+Will
- Jeanne L. Narum, Director — Project Kaleidoscope
- Michael E. Reid, Associate Principal, Higher Education Practice Leader - Perkins+Will
- Jeff Schantz, Senior Vice President & Strategic Director - Hellmuth, Obata + Kassabaum
- John Starr, Principal - Lord, Aeck & Sargent Architecture