Donna L. Sundre
Executive Director of Center for Assessment & Research Studies, Professor of Psychology
James Madison University
- Communication, Communication, Communication
Connecting Assessment to Enhance Student Learning
- In the real estate profession, the mantra is "location, location, location." In most other pursuits, an advisable mantra might be "communication, communication, communication." The prudence of academic leaders adopting such a mantra in the instance of assessment of student learning is easily illustrated by even the most fleeting review of institutional case studies where false starts, strong beginnings accompanied by equally strong fizzles, and outright "no-go's" are evident.
- A pathway for an institution-wide assessment program: are we there?
- From her experience as Executive Director of the Center for Assessment and Research Studies at James Madison University, Donna Sundre builds an argument that the pathway to an institution-wide assessment plan has six sequential components: vision; high standards; commitment; resources; structure; and integration.
- Plenary: Influencing Positive Change in Parallel Universes
- Who are our students, those now on our campus and those in the pipeline? What is their background, what skills, interests, and career aspirations do they bring into our classrooms and labs? What skills and capacities will they need to become 21st century leaders, innovators, life-long learners? In this plenary we delve more deeply into institutional strategies that center on strengthening student learning in STEM fields, considering by what measures we can determine how and if goals for student learning can be aligned with institutional policies and practices.